Wednesday 30 January 2013

Birds and baking

The snow has disappeared from Hazel Cottage already, almost as soon as it had arrived.  This meant that Mr C managed to dig over his veg patch and start preparing for the new season.  I had a look to see what was growing in the garden and noticed the beginnings of the bulbs just poking through last years dead leaves.  I have grand plans to grow a lot of flowers this year and am hoping that the slugs and snails don't thwart my plans completely!

We took part in the RSPB's Great Birdwatch this weekend and studiously wrote down the highest number of each kind of bird we saw in our garden over about an hour.  We chose the time after we've replenished food and stood back.  And I don't think I've seen so few of our regular birds!  We often have a full garden of birds after feeding but they obviously don't want to be part of the birdcount and hid away.  It was an interesting thing to do however.  Our eventual count was 4 blackbirds, 1 robin, 2 goldfinches, 2 blue tits, 2 woodpigeons, 1 collared dove, 4 crows, 2 great tits and 1 dunnock.  After we had finished the watch, a group of woodpigeons and finches fluttered into the garden.   Of course the robin was around most of the time as he seems to appreciate our gardening efforts.

I also made a date and walnut traybake from my new Mary Berry baking book.  This was actually great fun and rather straightforward and tastes nice too.  I'm hoping to work my way through the book and eventually attempt the more complicated recipes.

Here is one of my favourite pictures from last week of the snow









No comments:

Post a Comment