Saturday 9 February 2013

Colour to cheer and inspire

On a dark wet February Saturday morning it can feel like Spring is a very long way off.  The garden is already sodden with rain and then the snow and sleet start.  None of it is laying, but the weather keeps me in the house yet again.  Luckily there is some sunshine in the form of the seville oranges I am making into marmalade.  Seville oranges and their perfumed bitter flavour are one of those rare completely seasonal items - they are only available in January and February here, so that means a couple of weekends of making marmalade each year.

 
In spite of my impatience finally the marmalade reaches setting point and I wonder why no recipe ever tells you quite how long this will take.  Many of them suggest boiling for 15 minutes which is a complete nonsense!
 
As its so grey and cold outside, I've made sure there are flashes of colour inside Hazel Cottage.  Although spring isn't here yet, there are splashes of spring colour to cheer and inspire.
 
 
 
Whilst waiting for the marmalade to boil up, I watched the birds in the garden frantically flutter around in the snow and sleet and daydreaming about all the flowers I hope to grow in the summer.  I really want to be better at growing from seed and in my plans I dream of a warm golden summers day sitting in the garden surrounded by flowers and bees and  butterflies.  In the meantime  I must get on and make the patchwork cushion I started before Christmas.....
 
 
"Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments, embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour."  - John Boswell
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment