Sunday 19 October 2014

A dearer, sweeter spot than all the rest

There is something rather special about a Sunday afternoon.  The house seems quieter, and there is something almost reassuring about cooking a roast dinner.

 
I know a lot of people who say that a roast dinner is too much bother or is too difficult, but I enjoy cooking a roast, as long as I can just be left to get on with it, and can listen to Radio 4 at the same time, I'm really very happy.
 
Home grown produce is always a fabulous addition to a dinner.

 
The whilst I'm waiting for things to cook, I can sit down and have a cup of tea and relax


Sundays have changed somewhat since I was a child.  Then very few shops were allowed to open, and there wasn't much traffic on the roads.  Most people stayed at home, some went to church, the rest washed cars or gardened.  Most people now rush into shopping malls and spend the whole day there.  I couldn't cope with that, I would much rather spend Sundays in a quieter manner.  Plus I'm not a great fan of shopping malls.  Or crowds of shoppers..

I'm already quite a home body, as this blog probably makes very clear.  I love pottering, spending time in the garden, watching old films, listening to old music, baking cakes, being at home.  Sundays seem even more a reason to stay at home to me and I always want to keep Sunday somehow different and special.



Home, the spot of earth supremely blest,
A dearer, sweeter spot than all the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment