I decided to make Apple Jam with the apples from our tree (and some from a friend who is inundated this year). I would usually make chutney with apples, but we have made a lot of marrow pickle and still have some left over chutney from last autumn.
I found this recipe which is an old recipe http://recipewise.co.uk/apple-jam-victorian-recipe.
It is pretty simple and I found a handful of blackberries from the freezer to add the bit of colour and taste they mentioned, as I didn't have loganberies.
|Apples from our tree|
|The slightly tedious bit - peeling!|
|The ingredients in my new jam pan|
|Ta-da! Fourteen jars of apple jam!|
I've started putting together some hexy patches to make a patchwork picture. I've got an idea what it will look like of course, and if it works well I will post a picture later on. I've just started to make the hexagon patches and still have a way to go before I can sew them together.
Its now September and the weather has cooled down a little, especially first thing in the morning and last thing at night. We seem to have a bit more rain too, which is very welcome. The most exciting thing in the garden at the moment are the visitors we've had. We saw a thrush on our bird feeder several times last week and last night we kept on hearing a loud kik kik kik sound from the garden. It sounded different to the usual blackbird and robin sounds we hear, so I stood at the back door looking to see where it was coming from, and from the top of the large fir tree next door was what we think was a Great Spotted Woodpecker! I managed to take a poor picture by zooming in madly, which helped us identify it. This was wonderful news!