Sunday 23 November 2014

Stir Up Sunday in front of the fire

We are sat in front of our fire on a wet damp Sunday afternoon, watching the fire flicker and feeling my knees warm up gradually.  I'm loving having a fire, it instantly warms up the room and makes it feel so cosy.


In the kitchen our Christmas pudding is gently bubbling and steaming away, its been on the hob for three and a half hours and will steam for another four and a half.  Today is stir up Sunday, the traditional day for making the Christmas pudding.

 
Yesterday I mixed up all the ingredients in a large bowl and left it overnight and so today it was packed into a pudding basin and covered
 
 
Later on tonight at evensong, the collect or prayer for the day will be this one from the Book of Common Prayer:
 
Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people;
that they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works,
may of thee be plenteously rewarded;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

4 comments:

  1. I can just imagine the wonderful smell in your home! We have our stove blazing too, isn't it one of the greatest pleasures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving having the wood burner, its just lovely, and quite a time waster! :)

      Delete
  2. I am rather miffed to discover I missed stir up Sunday, I normally make my cake that day! Gosh I bet your house was glorious yesterday, toasty warm with lovely smells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was rather lovely, I didn't really want to leave the house! ;)

      Delete